Sunday 20 January 2019

WHY GOALS ARE BETTER THAN RESOLUTIONS

Okay, so, let's first establish the difference between the two because, I imagine that to be the very question which came to your mind when you read the title of this post...

Resolutions are a list of things you will do; a definite decision to make certain changes, effective immediately, with the aim to have those changes be indefinite. In three words - a dedicated promise!
No junk food.
Quit smoking.
Read 2 books per month.
Visit a new place once a fortnight.

Goals are a list of things you can work towards achieving over a period of time; the marrying of conscious effort with ambition.
Try nicotine patches.
Choose healthier foods.
Set aside 10 minutes a day to read.
Explore somewhere new, that is local, once a month.

So many of us are unable to commit to our 'resolutions' and I believe that's down to putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure to make [often big] changes too quickly and this can actually have a devastating impact, which can then leave you feeling negative towards yourself and your potential to achieve.
With goals, you're taking certain steps to achieve your aims at a steady, focused, relaxed, albeit committed, pace. A process of gradual improvements, I believe, will lead to better results which can be maintained long-term.

For example, in January 2010 I woke up one day and said [to myself], "I'm going to start exercising every day, I will also stop eating sweets and crisps, I won't consume any alcohol, I'll start meditating before bed and I'm going to start blogging"... Yeah, didn't happen. I started and within about 3 days had stopped. It was too much, too soon and a very unrealistic set of targets to achieve instantly. Essentially, I was trying to give my life a complete overhaul and thought the best way was to have a list of 'resolutions' that would somehow, automatically, hold me accountable. Here's the thing: there is nothing, nor anybody, that can ensure I achieve whatever I set out to. It's all on me!

I found, through some trial and error, that the best, most successful, way to reach my aims is to set out goals with a plan of action for each one. Having a clear method for gradual change, over a realistic time frame, is far more beneficial and sustainable. It doesn't matter how long it takes, what matters is that I get those boxes ticked and that's exactly what I have been doing. Praise Jah!

PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO MAKE PROGRESS ON GOALS THAT ARE BROKEN INTO CONCRETE, MEASURABLE ACTIONS, WITH SOME KIND OF STRUCTURED ACCOUNTABILITY AND POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT - taken from The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

In the words of Kano, "more life, more life".  None of us want to be confined to the super strict regiment of a new routine that we think will quickly bring about the changes we want. Enjoy the actual fruits of your 'labour'. Slow and steady really does win the race! List your goals, outline a plan of action for each, note down the realistic steps you can take to achieve them and then begin. You've got this more than you realise! x

Thanks for reading

PREVIOUS POST7 STEPS FOR SURVIVING 2019!

SOCIAL MEDIATwitter | Instagram | Facebook Page

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the goals focus. I'm starting small but challenging and taking it from there. Trying to turn my body back 10 years!! Time to get in shape!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for having a read AND for taking the time to leave a comment. Let me know how you get on with your goals. I'm also trying to apply some focus to my health! x

      Delete